Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Am I An Aesthetic? // Poetry


The idea of perfectly composed photographs and cinematography is interesting. It made me think about the way we can go into relationships thinking that it'll be all clich├ęd kissing in the rain and dancing under the stars (I personally blame Nicholas Sparks). It leads to seeing people as these beautifully constructed beings, when in fact, we're not.

I'm not an aesthetic to be admired at surface level; I'm messy and naive, I make mistakes and I can be a bit too much sometimes. But I understand that it's human to want the rose-tinted life, even if it is just temporary, because a little bit of temporary happiness makes the harsh reality a little less painful.


the world is an aesthetic to you
an idea, an image, a fabrication

evening sunlight
perfectly arranged tulips
pomegranate pink
backdrop of sea blue
breeze through fingers
shorts and converse

winter arrives
pomegranate pink
turns to blood
only when the sun sets
i remember the sea
is just the sky's reflection
and so sea blue becomes
heartache black
fingers numb, biting winds
cold legs, dirty converse

the world is an aesthetic to you
an idea, an image, a fabrication

am I sun-kissed?
does the light catch me?
am I an aesthetic?
am I art?

black and white photograph
ripped edges
tossed to the side
the same way winter
destroys flowers
you drained our tulips of colour
and the worst part is
i still catch you bathing
in the golden hour
with vivid colour in your eyes


I never planned for my blog to include so much of my poetry but I've been enjoying writing it so much that it's naturally found its way onto here so I hope that's okay.

What are your thoughts on this modern notion of aesthetics?

{Photo source: Nabsticle}

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I really liked what you wrote :) I especially love the ending lines , leave a haunting eerie silence sort of.
    I also write poetry sometimes on my blog, its in no way as good as yours but maybe you could check it out if you want to :)
    Have a nice day :)
    -Pratz
    https://ponderingsbypratz.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, glad you liked it! Hope you have a lovely day too!

      Nabeela :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this is beautiful. And this is coming from someone who usually doesn't have " the attention span " for poetry. I really like the message I got from it.

    Also, can I just say I absolutely adore your about me page, and the way you wrote about your destination. I think it makes you a wonderful human being and I'm super happy to have found your space on the internet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has made me so unbelievably happy thank you so much! Knowing that my writing has had some kind of impact is so rewarding, reminds me of why I do it. Hope you're having the best day lovely!

      Nabeela x

      Delete