Sunday, 13 September 2015

Summer Journal: Favourites


It’s been three and a half months. It’s been an interesting and self-improving journey. It’s been my summer; documented in snippets of loopy handwriting, vibrant colour and memories locked between pages.

It’s been three and a half months since this post, where I shared my hopes of recording my adventures in a journal that I purchased on the day of my last exam. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how refreshing it’s been to spend evenings exploring the possibilities that a blank page can offer.

So today, I’m going to share some of my favourites with you, along with the stories that come with each piece. And once you’ve finished reading, I encourage you to draw, write, doodle and paint, in an attempt to use creative expression to calm the chaos.

The Infinite Child: 16/07/15



I spent an evening with my younger sisters painting this, eyes narrowing in deep concentration, smile widening at the thought of doing something so… childlike. It’s strange because paint is something that I’m uncomfortable using. I find that my hand struggles to keep steady, my strokes are disorderly and the final product is nothing like how I envisioned.

But in this case, my rainbow was messy on purpose, in order to relive the days spent sitting at the colourful tables in primary school with no rules attached to what I created. And if I were to take one lesson from this experience, it is that I should never let my age confine me.

Willow Tree: 01/08/15



The thought of willow trees always brings about a magical energy. There’s just something about them that instigates an enchanted atmosphere, and I felt compelled to capture that on paper.

This piece was inspired by a dream and although its significance was small, its impact wasn’t. Being within the presence of this stranger made me feel a heart-warming sense of safety and protection from the rush of the outside world. It’s difficult for me to explain the exact effect it had, but if a dream has the power to make me feel like that, then I’m not going to hesitate to document it.

Vulnerability: 02/08/15



A lack of motivation hit me hard around the time that this piece was created. My pen was lying flat upon blank pages and my head had lost all power to conjure up any profound thoughts that were worth sharing.

That was until I stumbled across the quote, ‘Your art matters’, and it couldn’t have found me at a more appropriate time. These three words scream vulnerability, because yes, my art is individual and precious, so to release it into the world is daunting to say the least. But does that make it any less valuable? It may not matter to others, but it matters to me, and that’s good enough.

Independence: 4th-6th August 2015



Three days spent in the bustling capital city of England with an abundance of freedom at my fingertips was something that I never imagined doing without my parents, but I did, which only meant one thing: independence.

Somehow, in between the madness of growing up, I’ve truly become my own person. Somewhere along the way my parents let go of my hand and I started catching the bus by myself, I started purchasing things with my own debit card and thoughts about university, jobs and driving lessons took over my world. So to me, this particular piece holds a deeper, more life changing meaning, and when I look back I can only hope that it will be recognised as a time of growth and positive change.

The Black Biro: 19/08/15



There was an eerie yet soothing silence imbued in my home on this particular day. The rest of the world was dreaming, the sun was gradually awakening, and yet my hands were insatiable to put pen to paper.

I hesitated, butterflies flurrying inside, my pen hovering, ready to begin. Words sprung from within and soon I was filling lines upon lines with ideas and philosophies entwined with honesty. Who knew that a simple black biro could give me so much power and control and freedom. I knew instantly that I wanted to keep this page of incoherent thoughts and musings, because despite their probable irrelevance in ten years’ time, they mean everything to me right now.

Which one is your favourite and why?

Would you like to see more pages of my journal?

{All photos belong to me, if you'd like to use them please give credit!}

2 comments:

  1. Yes definitely! I love to see how other people think. Journaling is such a relaxing activity, I like to write before bed, and it helps me get my thoughts down so I can fall asleep quicker.

    My favorite is the "your art matters" page!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly, I love to write but I never tried doing arty stuff because I knew I wasn't good at it, but it's really surprised me how fun it can be! Thank you Angelina!!

      Nabeela :)

      Delete