Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Anatomy // Poetry



My hair is a disposition of feathers upon a raven soaring high,

Gliding amongst my features with zenith pride,

My nose a cliff overlooking the city skyline

Inhaling the wind’s cathartic sigh,

Sprinkling pretty freckles amongst defining lines,

Progressing to my lips as creases vanish with a smile.



My breasts are two mountains sitting side by side,

Watching over green vines that glorify

My hands that are imperfectly designed,

Dipping like valleys that coincide

With nails immersed in red from berries so divine,

Nails that tear at the body that I'm forced to despise.



My stomach is a hill with curves and bumps that rise

Over thighs that dance alongside,

My feet are clouds drifting through skies

Like artwork resonating with generations through time,

As even my dark patches hitch a ride

With the stars upon my skin that wish to stay alive.


***

I don't think I’ll ever be ‘body confident’ as such, but I know that if I try hard enough I can transform my perspective into a more healthy and positive one. I strongly believe in the importance to take what we think are the flaws of our anatomy and to rebuild them into something that we're proud of. And even if it is just a fantasy inside of our heads, it can still have a huge impact on how we view and treat ourselves.

So with this poem I really wanted to take the things that we often don't like about our appearance and analogise those features with natural imagery and senses. I've been reading into the concept of surrealism a lot lately and wanted to incorporate elements of that into my writing. It’s honestly been such an interesting way to explore my mind further and to discover the infinite possibilities of my imagination; I definitely want to try and experiment with the idea of surrealism a lot more in the future.

What things do you do in order to have a more positive perception of yourself?

Would you like to see more poetry on Nabsticle?



{Photo source via Pinterest}

6 comments:

  1. I am really not body confident in any shape or form.
    This post has given me a lot to think about, and I am so thankful, and you write such beautiful poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's completely okay to not be body confident, it doesn't mean that you never will be or you can't have days where you do feel content with your appearance. Thank you so much Erin, it means the world to me that I've helped you. Hope you're having the best day!

      -Nabeela :)

      Delete
  2. i love this. i used to completely hate my body then i don't know one day it just clicked and now i just don't really care what people think of me and so my confidence kinda grew........i suppose it must be the kind of thing that comes with time or suddenly clicks one day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that, no one deserves to feel down or ashamed about their appearance. It takes a long time but I think everyone does get there eventually. Thank you so much for reading Ellie, glad you liked it!!

      -Nabeela xo

      Delete
  3. Hello! Thank you for visiting my blog. It took me a long time to accept myself and the way I look - it turned out it is not half as bad as I thought. In the meantime I was training a lot to release negativity. I can definitely suggest sport as one of many ways to get where you want to be. Find me at https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/igaberry-13323143 & www.igaberry.com Have a lovely day, Iga xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks so much for reading! It takes such a long time to build your confidence and yet it only takes one comment for it to be torn down. I'm so glad you've found the strength to accept yourself, not everyone does sadly. Yeah I've heard that working out really helps, I should probably do that but I'm just so lazy haha! Thank you lovely, you too!!

      -Nabeela xo

      Delete