Saturday, 25 July 2015

A Letter to Rejection

To Rejection,

Let me tell you a story. Last month I read about a week-long training programme in London, based at the headquarters of established names like The Times and The Sun, where only fifteen people would be chosen to attend. The winners would be taught the ins and outs of journalism, they would get an honest insight into the tricks of the trade as well as developing interpersonal competence and learning how to effectively overcome challenges.

But how could I possibly stay in London on my own for an entire week? How could I discuss ideas with experienced journalists and not get nervous?

Being the anxious introvert that I am, I went through the multiple stages of doubting my ability, through to the mountainous fear of being too overwhelmed by the immensity of it all, right through to the final stage of anger towards myself for even thinking for a second that I couldn’t do this.

So after going over it a thousand times in my head, I crafted (and took far too long to edit) a 500 word piece on a topic of my choice along with a short paragraph on why I’d like to be a part of the programme. I sent off my application with mixed feelings of excitement, apprehension and a whole load of ambivalence, and patiently waited for a reply.

A few days after the deadline for applications, an email landed in my inbox. I stared at it for a while, emotions whirring and head spinning. I partly knew what was waiting for me inside of the email, but another part of me also thought; what if I actually got accepted? What if things actually worked out in my favour?

‘I’m sorry to inform you that on this occasion your application was not successful.’


One of the reasons that I was so afraid of this happening was because I’m the type of person who overthinks, who would start believing that I’m a terrible writer or that being a journalist maybe isn’t the right career path for me. 

So I pulled out a notebook from my drawer and scribbled down every thought I had, every emotion and every sense of feeling about the situation. And when my fingers started to ache and I’d set free the last thing I had to say, I smiled.

Yes, I’m down about it. But I’m not sad or angry or upset, I’m just down. I’m not afraid of you Rejection, I’m just simply tired of you showing your face far too often than I’d like.

If I’d received this email a couple of years ago, I know exactly what would’ve happened. I would’ve been overthinking for days, I would’ve refused to write a single word and I would’ve disbelieved in my ability completely. But I’m writing this just half an hour after receiving the email with a calm feeling of ‘everything happens for a reason’. And to me, that’s an achievement in itself.

So thank you Rejection, for not only allowing me to see that there is value in your existence, but there’s also value in myself too and that I should never let you or any other setback define my ability. It doesn’t mean that I’m a terrible writer, and it sure as hell doesn’t mean that journalism isn’t the right career path for me; it just means that as of right now, the universe has a better plan.

{Photo source: Nabsticle}

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a very eye opening and inspiring piece of writing here :D
    I go through those stages of overthinking and doubting my abilities one too many times and this post has made me want to be more positive in those situations, so thank you for this :)


    VioletDaffodils
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you so much for such a lovely comment, I'm glad that it's helped you see setbacks in a more positive light! Hope you're having the best day!!

      -Nabeela xx

      Delete
  2. This is such a good post! I think rejection is important, it teaches us a lot of lessons, like you've highlighted. If we always had everything we wanted to easily, nothing would be worth having xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, I've always seen rejection as a bad thing but it turns out it actually has some benefits. Thank you so much for reading, glad you liked it!

      -Nabeela xx

      Delete
  3. I love this, and reminds me so much of how I've grown too, how rejection doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world anymore, sure I don't covet it, but sometimes it just means that that opportunity was not a good fit. I'm so glad you shared your thoughts, really, it's something that isn't talked about so much, because rejection isn't nice, but there is a positive twist often times.

    Erin | cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you liked it! That's exactly the message I was trying to give, I've always believed that things don't work out because they were just not meant to and that's okay. I've always wanted this blog to be somewhere where I'm comfortable to talk about the bad as well as the good so thank you, I'm so glad that it could relate to someone.

      -Nabeela :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your comment on my blog - I'm glad of it so I've discovered yours :) And it really made my day, thank you for being so thoughtful!
    I think this post is great and so so important! There is so much to learn from rejection, which sounds such a clichee, but is really true! I know I've learnt so much from failed job applications/relationships that didn't work out/living situations etc... And it makes eventual success feel even better, right? Admire your attitude - keep it up! x

    www.frauleinlouise.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, I'm glad it made you happy! It's true, it can take time to process at first but in almost every rejection, or any setback for that matter, there is some good. Yes exactly, when we finally do get what we want it feels more like we've really deserved it and that it's the right thing for us. Thank you so much lovely, really appreciate your kind words!!

      -Nabeela x

      Delete
  5. Wow Nabeela, such a powerful and motivational post! Whenever I face rejection, I am going to refer back to this post! I too am a believer that everything happens for a reason, so I need to remind myself of this in hard times!

    Maisie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely comment! It can be really hard at times to think on the bright side but it's always worth seeing things in a different light, it can spark new inspiration and motivate you to keep going. Thank you so much for reading Maisie!! - Nabeela xo

      Delete