Friday, 19 June 2015

Curiosity’s Home // Poetry

Artwork by Catrin Welz-Stein

My mind is an ocean;
A rippling disposition of existence that
Wanders around hidden crevices and compelling caves,
Gazing up at bright lights that guide the way
As all of their glory manifests inside this small space of mine,
A coral reef of imagination,
Of conversations,
Of sanctuaries.

My mind holds species
That have not yet been discovered,
Dipping in and out, in and out, in hopes of uncovering more.
Observing the starfish and dolphins that
Instigate burning questions that send waves swirling, erupting,
A seabed of dreams,
Of thoughts,
Of growth.

It would be a heavenly sin
To only ever exist in a world where simplicity
Sits on a pedestal above the water and creativity is boxed
And shipped into dark holes,
Dark holes that despise the ideas and knowledge that humans crave,
Only Black,
Only white,
And only the sad absence of grey.

But my mind is an ocean
That refuses to be buried alive underneath the seabed,
That dances against the tide, in and out, in and out.
Never anchored by reality
Because my mind is a precious pearl in clammy realism,
A symbol of hope,
Of freedom,
Of curiosity…
***

It's taken me a good few months to write this poem but it finally feels right. I hope it reminds you of just how inquisitive, wild and extraordinary your mind can be and to never let anything suppress your magic.

It would be amazing if you could have a read of a couple of other poems that I’ve posted on Nabsticle like Green to Gold and Opus, I’d love to know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this poem. It is beautiful! I love the connections between your mind and the ocean and underwater life. I really enjoy this. I'd love to keep reading your poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Celeste, I'll definitely think about posting more poetry!!

      -Nabeela x

      Delete