Sunday, 8 February 2015

5 Ways to Rekindle Your Creative Side

My good friend once told me that everyone can sing but some can just sing better than others, and that’s okay. Her wise words have always stuck with me because it can be applied to almost everything.

Lately I’ve had an unfortunate lack of inspiration when it comes to writing. The other day I wanted to take some time out to wind down and write to release my angsty and disconcerted thoughts. So I sat at my desk, charged with an electrifying energy, eyes narrowing, searching for a way to begin. Yet out of nowhere a wave of exhaustion washed over me and every sentence I typed was met with the backspace button and every idea felt incoherent and wrong.

This precarious feeling of entering a world of ambiguity worried me. I felt that without writing I didn’t have anything to fall back on, I didn’t have a way to let go, reflect, express and get the cogs inside my mind turning to create something beautiful. I didn’t like that feeling at all, so I decided to change it. If writing wasn’t the answer at this particular moment of time in my journey through life then I would turn to other forms of expression.

So that’s what I did and saying that I’ve learnt a heck of a lot would definitely be an understatement. Through this change I’ve discovered a real love for other forms of creativity and have found myself in absolute awe and admiration at the infinite opportunities out there for people like me who are erupting with artistic and experimental notions.

If you have a burning desire to spark that imaginative flame or are just feeling a little uninspired when it comes to expressing your emotions, here are five ways to rekindle your inner creativity.

Source: Nabsticle

1. Lie down on your bed, grab a few pillows and warm blankets and make yourself comfortable. Light a candle so that the soft wisps of sweet aroma trickle through the air and enter your veins. Close your eyes, imagine a happy place where the world is rid of any tragedy and injustice. Now hit play on your ‘Favourites’ playlist and allow the nostalgic tones and serene rhythmic beats travel through every inch of your body. But don’t just listen to it, feel it. Allow each and every word to strike a chord in your heart and slowly feel your soul being uplifted.

2. Talk to someone. Whether it be a sibling, your teacher, the postman or a stranger at the bus stop. But none of that small talk, talk about something real and speak with integrity. You may make a friend or the universe may decide to never cross your paths again. Talk to them anyway. Allow their words, expressions, emotions and mannerisms to illuminate and spark something inside of you and draw inspiration from all of their strange ideas and quirky habits.

3. Are you a dreamer? Do the dreams that slip into your mind in the late hours of the night scare you or perhaps raise questions about your existence and purpose in this world? Write them down. Yep, every single one. Write every intricate detail that your mind can still grasp onto before it’s stolen from your memory and is lost forever. This is a personal opinion but I believe in dreams and how they don’t just randomly pop into our heads just for the hell of it. They mean something. Perhaps laced with a profound message that offers a hint to what destiny holds for you or perhaps a reminder of what is important and what matters most. Whatever your mind conjures up, write it down.

4. Go out for a long walk and purposely take a different route and get lost. I used to do this quite a lot and the excitement and intense thrill that I felt was extraordinary. Turn the volume up on your IPod and bless your ears with your all-time favourite songs. Be adventurous and take risks, and once your back in the safety of your home, write about it, paint about it, sing about it. And the next day when you see your friends, tell them about it. Tell them about every little detail of that walk and allow the passion and fire inside of you to shine through your eyes with every word.

5. Jot down a quick list of all of the limitations that you’re currently feeling. Write down the source of this lack of creative thinking in explicit detail and ponder over them for ten minutes. It’s even okay to cry about them, scream if you have to. But only for ten minutes. Once all of that anger has escaped your head, rip it up. For an added bonus you can even burn it and feel the ashes slip through your fingers and become nothing but dust particles floating in the air. Put it behind you and feel the gateway to your creativity open wide once again and I promise it will all come flooding back, as if it hadn’t even left in the first place.

This may come across as an exaggerated statement but without creativity the world would stop spinning. It’s the precise reason as to why one side of your brain is dedicated to the arts and the other is dedicated to logic and science. One tends to be stronger and much more active but both are still there. So let’s embrace our creative side and change the world with our art.

Our creator’s intention has always been for us to be a tangled compilation of bones and blood but it’s our job to set our hearts on fire and set our minds free through our individual expression, whether that be through art, music, writing, dance or simply whatever puts our minds at ease and helps us extract the greatness from this arduous and perplex world.

2 comments:

  1. Great list. Even the most creative of creatives get drained sometimes. My favorite of your tips is four. There is nothing like long walks and unexpected adventures to get those creative juices flowing. In fact, I was looking at an infographic about the schedules of the world's most creative minds and one theme I found amongst a majority of the men they looked at was that they took regular looooong walks: http://www.fastcocreate.com/3028428/infographic-see-the-daily-routines-of-the-worlds-most-famous-creative-people

    Walking is the excercise of geniuses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah going for long walks and taking in the beautiful nature is always so serene and fills my heart with so much joy. It's such a nice way to reflect and remind yourself of the little things that you're grateful for :) That's really interesting actually! I wonder if it's the same for women? Thank you so much for reading!!

      -Nabeela xo

      Delete