Sunday, 4 January 2015

Productivity…

“Tomorrow I will wake up early and have a productive day.”

Source: Unknown

After making this statement, I set my alarm to 8:30am and allowed James Bay’s voice to fill my ears as I drifted off to sleep. I was determined to have a valuable and enriching day that somehow moved me, it was kind of like I wanted the following day to place me on a train of insight and take me on a journey to somewhere unknown but beautiful at the same time.

So the next morning I took a glorious hot shower. I then complained and moaned at my hair for not sitting right and was tempted to cut off this one bit of my fringe that was sticking up in the most unattractive and odd angle.

If I can recall correctly I think I then turned on my computer and heard the usual hissing sound that it makes. I had a quick scroll through Twitter and took some time to read through my emails before making myself two pieces of toast and a cosy cup of tea. After an inevitable procrastination session I pulled out my revision notes and stared at them blankly in the hope that all the information I needed to know would somehow find its way into my brain. Erm yeah… that didn’t happen.

So I packed it all away and listened to an episode of the Serial podcast. It instigated furious thoughts and involved me putting an investigative hat on trying to piece the case together myself. If you haven’t started listening to this crime podcast, don’t. It will mess with your head because of all the small details and for impatient people like me who are dying to know who the murderer is, it can become infuriating.

I then read a chapter of the book I’m currently rereading, The Tulip Touch by Anne Fine, and became utterly infatuated by her carefully crafted writing. And also terrified at the concept of whether someone is truly born evil. Definitely one that will frighten you but will also stay with you for a very long time.

Next on my supposedly productive day I caught up on reading blog posts; something I always enjoy. I targeted YouTube next. I watched every single video that was sitting in my subscriptions box and my oh my did it feel good. If you know me well, you will know that I’m an obsessive organisation freak so as odd as it sounds, being caught up with little things like that makes everything so much better.

Between all of this I obviously took frequent visits to the fridge, toilet and seeing my family to reassure them that I haven’t died, but this is the general outline of my day so far. I’m now writing this at 4:25pm.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that my original idea of a productive day meant revising. But there are so many other days to revise and exams will come a go. It’s not the end of the world. I feel happy and I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t have felt like that if I was sitting in my room trying to cram information into my head. Other people may not think it was productive but I guess my mind was simply craving something more, something thoughtful. Not being productive can be both dangerous and blissful, today it was blissful.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! It took me many, many years to realise that taking the odd day off from revision would actually not hurt my overall revision. Sounds like you had a lovely, relaxed day. It's good to take a day off and recharge, or at least absorb information that isn't studying.

    ~ K

    www.crumbsinthebed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's so easy to forget that our bodies need rest and that we deserve a break once in a while too. Thank you so much for reading!!

      -Nabeela :)

      Delete