Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Dear December // Mini Series #6

Dear December,

The light dusting of frost twinkled as spots of sunlight bounced off the white crystals that lay in intricate patterns on the ground. It was like it was protecting the earth from the harsh wind that rattled the windows in the middle of the night.

The festive atmosphere swallowed my body and the bitter weather trapped me indoors. Since my family and I don’t celebrate Christmas you turned out to be a very mediocre month. But in an odd way I like that about you December, you seem to eradicate the dramatically heightened Christmas period and simply ease us into the new year.

I fancied a change this month. I felt like I needed to switch things up a little so I decided to cut my hair. I think it’s the first time I haven’t cursed the hairdresser for ruining my life hair. I feel like a suppressing weight has been lifted, I feel lighter, happier. People told me I’d miss my long hair but honestly, I don’t. Thank you December, you’ve taught me that change can be healthy and as long as I have the courage to knock down the barriers and allow it to happen, I’ll be okay.

Source: Nabsticle

In addition to the blissful moments that you have blessed me with this month, an email landed in my inbox (causing me to smile like a right idiot on the bus) and instigated a catalyst of motivation and reassured me that my writing is worthy and it was always what I was destined to do. A successful online magazine by the name of Write On! showered me with joy when they told me that they would be publishing one of my poems in their December issue! They even went out of their way to give me some feedback on my work. I’m so grateful for this opportunity, to share something that was written on a whim over the summer is incredible. Things are looking very promising and I feel so unbelievably lucky.

There were only a couple of lost days where things didn’t feel quite right or I just wanted my duvet to package me up and take me to a distant world. Every other day was filled with warming smiles, productivity and snuggling in front of the TV watching the traditional melodramatic EastEnders or the delightful antics in the Only Fools and Horses Christmas specials.

There’s not much more I have say to you December. You’ve allowed me to chill and quietly prepare for the insightful and daring adventures that will soon unfold in 2015. Thank you.

Yours faithfully,
Nabeela

I planned this series to continue till the end of the year and now that we’re here I don’t want it to end. I don’t think I’ll be doing any more however if you like them then I will definitely continue. I’ve really enjoyed this series, reflecting on the past month has been really fascinating, refreshing and healthy. I hope you’ve enjoyed them too.

You can have a read of my letter to November here.


6 comments:

  1. You write wonderfully Nabeela! Please do continue this series - it's really enjoyable:) I hope 2015 brings you the insightful and daring adventures you wish for. Happy new year! Lauryn xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lauryn! Happy new year to you too; I have a feeling it's gonna be your year to truly shine and I have full faith that you will keep inspiring :) xx

      Delete
  2. I love your blog and so I have nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. Here is a link to my post http://www.tro-unicorns.uk/2014/12/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    Let me know hen you have done your post :)

    Much love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much for nominating me! I will let you know as soon as I have done it, it should be up in the next few weeks!
      - Nabeela x

      Delete
  3. this is so beautiful!! love your writing.
    happy new year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julia!! Happy new year to you too lovely! I just had a quick browse on your blog and I'm loving your new haircut - Nabeela xx

      Delete