Friday, 26 December 2014

A Summary of 2014

I carefully opened my diary with its grey and floral exterior to find my 2am thoughts, concerns, special moments and everything I’m too afraid to say out loud. I flicked through to the last entry of 2013 and whispered the words I once felt. According to my diary it was a mediocre year, full of ups and downs, same old repetitiveness. My eyes began to well up when I realised that I had no ambition for 2014, I was just going to go with the flow of existence and see what happens. How could 2013 damage me so much to the point where I felt so empty and discouraged? Sadly it was a time where friendships were broken and hatred for the world was developed.

2014 was a new chapter and it definitely was the turning point in my book. This is the first year where I can retrospect and safely say that it was truly beautiful. I’ve had such a memorable, thought-provoking and remarkable year.

Source: Nabsticle

Here are just some of the highlights that made 2014 so special:

·         Taking a risk and having the confidence to join an online magazine. Through this experience it has opened up many opportunities, I’ve learnt so much and I’m immensely grateful for all of the friends that I made. Plus being given the chance to publish my own writing was incredible.

·         Creating this little space. It was the best decision I’ve ever made and I’m so indebted to everyone who reads and appreciates my blog.

·         Going to watch a theatre production of An Inspector Calls with my friend and her mum. That night was perfect.

·         Through the tension, fear of failing and crushing pressure, I managed to get through my exams and come out with great results. I’m so proud of myself.

·         After five long years I finally completed high school. It wasn’t all laughs but there were definitely some gems amongst the rough stones.

·         I took part in a crazy filming project over the summer, made some wonderful friends and even had the confidence to do some acting. It made me so happy and it’s something I’ll never forget. I even rode in a taxi for the first time!

·         Okay this is something I haven’t told anyone before so here you go, you’ve heard it from the horse’s mouth. Over the summer holidays I started writing the foundations of what could potentially become a book… It’s a complete mess and at the moment none of it really makes sense but that’s okay. Writing my very own book has been a dream of mine for such a long time and to be able to say that I’m finally on the path to achieving this feels amazing.

·         This summer I properly got into writing. I got some short stories and poems published in small online magazines which is something I never thought I could do.

·         I had my first ever operation and though it was the toughest thing I’ve ever had to endure, I got through it. And I couldn’t be more appreciative and proud.

·         I started college and I finally feel content with the direction that my life is going. I’ve made some lovely friends and I’m studying subjects that I actually enjoy.

·         I travelled to London with friends I barely knew at the time and had the most inspiring and momentous time. Truly unforgettable.

·         I fell in love with new artists like; Ed Sheeran, Lana Del Rey, Lena Fayre, Banks, James Bay and many more.

·         I saw Ed Sheeran live and was blown away at how music could bring hundreds of people together just by having so much belief in someone’s words and emotions. My brother and I also went to see McBusted and interviewed their support act. I was terrified but they were so lovely and it was something I’d never done before.

·         This was also the year I discovered inspiring and passionate people like Katie Oldham, creator of the blog Scarphelia. I’ve also been gaping in awe at the positive changes that the beautiful actress Sophia Bush is making to the world. Removing the negative and replacing it with the positive has helped me immensely and I can’t help but commend these people for bringing hope back into a once lost heart.

·         This year I’ve finally realised that I’m so insignificant to the world but at the same time I’m a crucial cog in the machinery. I’ve realised my potential and have started to truly believe that every day is a new day. There is always a light, perhaps just a glimpse or a small flicker, but it’s always there amongst the darkness.

I know some of these things are meagre and small but they are what has made my 2014 and I will cherish them dearly. I can only dream of 2015 being even bigger and better. I see myself growing even more and edging closer to the ideal person I want to be. I want to keep writing, reading, expanding my knowledge, blogging, but most importantly I want to stay inspired because I don’t know what I’d do if this flame inside of me is ever extinguished. I realise this post has got scarily deep but I felt it had to be said.

Thank you 2014 for being an extraordinary year. I think I’m finally happy. I want to try new things and take risks, fail and then try again. This year has been reflective, encouraging and meaningful. Who knows what 2015 will bring but I know for a fact that I’m one hundred percent ready to face it.

No comments:

Post a Comment