Friday, 10 October 2014

Which Hogwarts House Are You In?

Source: here
Harry Potter is just one of those things isn’t it? It gives you a sense of heart-warming nostalgia and makes you reminisce your distant childhood filled with rainbows, ponies and smiles, when all was perfect in the world. Whilst I’m still gutted for not receiving my Hogwarts acceptance letter from McGonagall I’ve realised that normal schools – or should I say Muggle schools – have something in common with the spellbinding school of magic.

On entrance to the school you are sorted into one of four houses; Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. And if you think about it it’s a bit like that in school. You’re either popular, nerdy, punk etc. But isn’t that who people perceive you to be and not who you truly are?

The good old sorting hat used its powers and positioned me into Slytherin after taking the test on Pottermore. Yet I always imagined myself as a Ravenclaw. Yes I agree that I’m pretty determined and ambitious like the characteristics of a Slytherin but I’d also like to think I’m creative and original like a wise Ravenclaw. Do these houses overlap? And then it hit me, I can slot myself into every single one of these houses.

I can be daring and courageous but also loyal and kind. It forced me to open my mind and think to myself, can we have more than one personality? And the answer is yes. Of course we can. We wouldn’t be human if we didn’t.

Just like the fearless protagonists Harry, Ron and Hermione we all have different qualities that make us the people we are. Harry had some characteristics of a Slytherin and Hermione also obtained some qualities of a Ravenclaw. It’s sad to think that people will label you to just one quality that you have. And it’s even sadder when the root of the problem is school and society.

Go and join different houses, different groups and different cliques because you can be whoever you want to be – you have the power to choose which house(s) you belong to. It’s cheesy but so true.

This was just a quick little thought I wanted to talk about that had been niggling in the back of my mind for quite some time. You may have noticed that I’ve changed my name on here and because of this I’ve lost all my followers which is gutting and pretty unfortunate. It would be great if you could follow me back if you were before, thanks so much to everyone who does follow me!

Right I’m off to listen to the Harry Potter soundtrack because that is as wild as my Friday night will get…

Which Hogwarts house(s) are you in?

2 comments:

  1. I always thought I would be in Ravenclaw, but according to the Pottermore site I'm a Slytherin! I get a lot of stick from my younger sister who was sorted into Gryffindor, she's declared me an enemy!

    Lauren x
    http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the same with me! Aww haha, I think it's so cool how we all have different traits from different houses x

      Delete