Saturday, 26 July 2014

The Harry Potter Spells Book Tag

The Harry Potter book series by J.K Rowling was a huge part of my childhood and growing up with these characters and the magical world of Hogwarts was such a fun and phenomenal experience. I saw this tag floating around YouTube so I decided to give it a go in a blog post – hope you like it!


1. (Expecto Patronum) A childhood book connected to good memories:
This would be The Witches by Roald Dahl. Oh my gosh you don’t even understand the amount of love I have for this book. I don’t even remember the storyline that well but I just remember not being able to put it down! Thinking about it now it should have been terrifying but something about it really excited me and made me fall in love with the characters page after page. I really applaud Roald Dahl for being such a wonderful writer and creating such a masterpiece.


2. (Expelliarmus) A book that took you by surprise:

The Edge by Alan Gibbons definitely surprised me so much. We were told to read it by my English teacher in year 8 and I didn’t really have high expectations for it, I just simply went into it blindly – and I’m so glad I did! It touches on difficult topics like racism along with hopes for a promised land and family issues which is very relatable. A fantastic book that can be read again and again.


3. (Prior Incantato) The last book you read:
The last book I read was The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott which is a true story where the author talks about the abuse and trauma she experienced because of her step dad Richard, both physically and mentally. I gave this book a 4 out of 5 star rating as it was truly heart breaking and despite the fact that I wasn’t too fond of the writing style and the awful topic it was very good and I found myself having tears in my eyes throughout it.


4. (Alohamora) A book that introduced you to a genre you had not considered before:
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett introduced me to the wonderful world of classic literature and I’ve loved it ever since. I think I read it twice when I was younger and I remember feeling extensively inspired by the female protagonist Sara Crewe and her bravery at Miss Minchin’s London boarding school. Ever since reading it I’ve found that I’ve been much more interested in classics and enjoy them a lot more whereas before I only stuck to genres that I was comfortable with.



5. (Riddikulus) A funny book you've read:
I think for me this would be The Blurred Man by Anthony Horowitz which I read when I was younger simply because the bumbling detectives Tim and Nick are hilarious as they don’t have a clue what they’re actually doing. This book made me laugh so much making it a really enjoyable and light read and I would recommend it to anyone.


6. (Sonorus) A book you think everybody should know about:

I feel like everyone should know about one of my all-time favourite books The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald. I’m sure a lot of you have heard about it but I was so surprised at how good it actually was. I adore all the characters and how well they were developed, even including heartless Daisy. The writing style was pretty complex to be honest but I didn’t mind since the plot was fantastic and the message it portrayed about hope was intense and truly beautiful.


7. (Obliviate) A book or spoiler you would like to forget having read:

I didn’t like the fact that I knew what was going to happen to Augustus in The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I think it changed my perception of the whole book and it all sort of became predictable which I felt would have been different if I didn’t know.


8. (Imperio) A book you had to read for school:

We had to read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck in year 10 and I absolutely loved it! The characters were extremely fascinating to read about along with the setting and overall message was very inspiring and captivating.


9. (Crucio) A book that was painful to read:
This one will have to be The Fire Within by Chris d’Lacey. The author of this book came to my school and signed free copies of his book so I just decided to read it and see what it’s all about and unfortunately I really didn’t like it. I just felt like it dragged on and on and the concept of dragons didn’t really interest me. Plus there was a lot about squirrels which I just didn’t understand. Overall it was simply boring and I couldn’t wait to finish it.


10. (Avada Kedavra) A book that could kill:

The Tulip Touch by Anne Fine will honestly kill you. I read this when I was in year 7 and I remember it so vividly as it has stuck with me ever since. It’s such a disturbingly compelling story about friendship and evil combined. What really killed me was the plot twist at the end as it really conveyed how screwed up and mentally ill someone can be. I’m not going to tell you too much but I definitely think you should read it.


Thanks so much for reading! I had so much fun doing this tag and I’m going to tag all of you to do it too. Talk to you all very soon!

Hugs & kisses,
Nabeela x

No comments:

Post a Comment