Sunday, 13 April 2014

My Top 3 Healthy Snacks & Drinks

Hi everyone! So recently I’ve had this burst of motivation to start eating more healthily and to start exercising on a regular basis. I just want to say that this isn’t a strict diet as such; it’s more like a change in lifestyle. My personal goal is to become healthier by the time I start college and I’m so determined to do it.

So far I’ve managed to cut out five things in my diet; chocolate, biscuits, fizzy drinks, takeaways and crisps. I’ve managed to do it for the past two weeks which I’m so proud of and I just really hope I can maintain it. For some reason I’ve been craving these sugary things much less and I don’t even feel like I need to eat them. I’ve cut down on the size of my proportions and I’ve realised all the food I used to eat wasn’t really needed. I only ate them because I just simply love food aha.

I’ve also been going on my walks more frequently which I’ve been loving and hopefully I’m going to start going swimming once a week since that’s one sport that I really love. So I just wanted to share the top three things that I’ve been eating and drinking lately and all the benefits that they give to our bodies.

Nuts:
I’ve always loved nuts but I’ve never really been crazy about them until recently. I’ve been snacking on them instead of things like crisps which I used to eat so much. You know when you just want to munch on something but you don’t want to be unhealthy? Well nuts are the way to go. Lately I’ve been completely obsessed with cashew nuts and almonds as they taste really natural yet sweet at the same time and there’s just something about them that after you have a few you kind of have to finish the whole packet.


Some of the benefits to various nuts are:
1. Almonds are full of calcium and are rich in vitamin E which helps improve the condition and appearance of your skin.
2. Cashew nuts provide a good level of protein and help to improve your memory.
3. Chestnuts have the least amount of fat and calories and provide a good source of vitamin C in their raw form.
4. Pecans are great for lowering cholesterol levels and the vitamins they contain help us access the energy in food to fight off fatigue and laziness.
5. Walnuts are effective for fighting cancer and they’re rich in omega-3 so they’re a great alternative if you don’t like eating oily fish.

Green tea:
I’ve loved green tea so much ever since I first tasted it. I’ve tried to get other people into it but describing its taste is so difficult so it’s hard to convince people how great it is. I normally have it with just a little bit of sugar since it’s quite bitter and that usually does the trick. I was actually so upset last year when I had to give up green tea since it started to make me feel really ill and it came to the point where I couldn’t move because of how bad it got. So I haven’t been able to drink it for months which was awful but I’ve started to drink it again and it’s been okay so far so hopefully I won’t go ill again. The benefits to green tea are endless so I highly recommend you try it.


Some of the many benefits to green tea:
1. I’m sure you’ve all heard this one before but green tea helps increase your metabolism so it helps with weight loss.
2. It also helps prevent diabetes or to keep it in good control if you are diabetic as it helps regulate glucose levels slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating.
3. It helps prevent heart disease as it protects your heart from clots which are the primary cause of heart attacks.
4. One benefit you may not know is that it helps with depression. Theanine is an amino acid naturally found in tea leaves. It’s this substance that is thought to provide a relaxing and tranquilizing effect to someone who suffers with depression.
5. Green tea can also help with wrinkles and the signs of aging.

Apples:
So we all know that fruit is really good for you but when your parents always used to say “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” we never believed them. Well we should have. I had no clue how beneficial they actually are. I’ve been eating around 3 or 4 apples a day because they’re so sweet and delicious that I just can’t stop. I definitely prefer red apples but the green ones are really good for you too. Any kind of fruit is healthy for you so if you don’t like apples then you can eat any other fruit you like. If you ever feel hungry, instead of picking up a chocolate bar go straight to the fruit bowl. I promise you’ll feel so much better and your body will thank you for it.


Some benefits to eating apples:
1. An apple won’t replace your toothbrush, but biting and chewing an apple stimulates the production of saliva in your mouth, reducing tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria.
2. According to a Brazilian study, eating an apple before a meal helped women lose 33 percent more weight than those who didn't.
3. Apples also benefit your appearance, since they contain nutrients that nourish your skin.
4. Apples provide a source of potassium which may promote heart health.
5. Studies indicate that eating apples daily can reduce the chance of you getting a skin disease.

Thanks so much for reading! By the way, all the benefits that I gave were all from the internet, I haven’t done any research into them myself aha. Please leave your blogs or any blogs that you recommend me to read in the comments as I would love to read them. What are some of your favourite healthy snacks or drinks?

Hugs & kisses,
Nabeela x

No comments:

Post a Comment