Monday, 21 April 2014

Breakfast at Tiffany’s Film Review

Audrey Hepburn takes on the role of a young girl living in New York by the name of Holly Golightly who finds a struggling writer called Paul Varjak who moves into her apartment building and becomes intrigued by Holly’s fun and quirky personality. Holly's lifestyle confuses and fascinates Paul; which leads them into becoming great friends and soon to be lovers. Lots of twists and turns take place throughout the film introducing various characters such as Doc Golightly, who is Holly’s husband and Mr Yunioshi, who is a very irritable man and also lives in their apartment. This old film is full of romance, friendship and a nameless cat that you later realise is very symbolic to the story. Holly feels quite trapped and is always finding new ways to earn a bit of cash but when she finds Paul and falls in love, her life and mind set changes completely.


So I’ve heard a lot of great reviews and comments on this film and it has been recommended to me on various occasions. I also read in a blog post that it’s one of the top 10 favourite films of all time so I thought I’d check it out and see what all the fuss was about. Bearing in mind I was very tired whilst watching it so that may have an effect on my opinion but to be quite honest I didn’t really like it. It was okay but it wasn’t engaging at all and I just got bored. I felt like the storyline wasn’t very clear and it just wasn’t one that stood out for me.


Despite this I thought that the acting by Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard was extremely good and realistic. The simplicity was very fresh and nice to see as there were no fancy effects that you see nowadays. I understand how the nameless cat is very symbolic and represents Holly and her feelings towards love and humanity but overall I think it’s so overrated and not a film that I will be seeing again any time soon. It definitely wasn’t a waste of time but it wasn’t a memorable film either that I would find myself recommending to others. I didn’t really understand the whole ‘breakfast at Tiffany’s’ thing and where that came into the film. Did she even have breakfast at Tiffany’s? I don’t know but maybe I need to watch it a few more times to fully understand the meaning behind it. I would probably give this film 3 out of 5 stars for overall performance and storyline.


I hope I haven’t put you off going to see this film if you haven’t already because this is just my opinion so I would love for anyone reading this to go and see it and let me know what you think. I know this is a very unpopular opinion but I just don’t see how people can love this film. I’ve probably missed out bits of the film that people think are really significant but I think that’s just because I wasn’t really interested or paying much attention to the details.

Thanks so much for reading! Let me know if you like this film or not; I would love to hear what you think about it. Talk to you in my next post.

Hugs & kisses,
Nabeela x

No comments:

Post a Comment