Tuesday, 25 March 2014

The Star Awards 2014

I was extremely honoured to be invited to The Star Awards last Friday (21st March) and to be given a great opportunity to meet new people. I was offered this because, as some of you may not know, I write for an online magazine called Voice 21 and one of the other writers was nominated for an award. So I was delighted when I was asked if I wanted to go and support him and represent Voice 21. It was the last one as it has been going for 7 years so I’m so glad I managed to go as I wouldn’t have gotten another chance to.

The Star Awards is a celebratory event put in place for the community in which I live in to commemorate the inspiring youth of today and all their fantastic achievements. Upon arriving I met with my leader and he walked us in. Bearing in mind I have never been invited to a formal event like this so I was quite nervous aha but thankfully my brother came with me. We were given these really cool key rings as a welcoming gift and were told to sign in and sit down at the assigned table. The mayor and other important Councillors
were there which made it all very exciting and it was nice to see our youth’s voices being heard, understood and attended to.

Dinner was given which was lovely and a nice way to start the evening. The awards were given out afterwards and lots of performances took place in between such as singing, acting and dancing which was so much fun and made the atmosphere very exciting and pleasant. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming which made me feel much more comfortable and allowed me to be myself.

After watching so many young people achieving these great awards for courage and perseverance really inspired me and made me think about my own life and how I can achieve so much if I work hard and keep trying. It built up my confidence and influenced me to try new things.

I met lots of cool people and realised that there’s so much more I want to do with my life. I also met a broadcast journalist who gave a beautiful speech and really enlightened my thoughts. It was a really good way to get myself noticed as a journalist and writer so I’m really grateful to have been given this opportunity and I hope there will be more events like this coming up. Already Voice 21 has given me so many new things to look forward to and I can’t wait to see what else is in store.

Overall it was such a memorable night filled with smiles and celebration. I had great fun getting inspired and feeling like I finally belonged somewhere. Every single one of these people is so ambitious and intelligent and I am grateful to be surrounded with good people. This award show was an incredible way to end my week and I’m honestly so happy that I was invited to such a fascinating event.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my post. Talk to you all very soon!

Hugs & kisses,
Nabeela x

No comments:

Post a Comment