Saturday, 15 March 2014

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Short Book Review)

I’ve just recently finished reading Looking for Alaska by John Green so I thought I’d do a quick review on what I thought about it. It’s based on three characters that consist of Miles, Chip and of course Alaska Young who all go to Culver Creek Boarding School in Alabama and soon become great friends. Miles left his home town of Florida in search of a greater perhaps and to try to have a better and more exciting life for himself. He begins to fall hopelessly in love with the daring, beautiful and enigmatic Alaska who has drawn him into her reckless world of drinking and screwed up thoughts.  

To be quite honest I had high expectations for it since I’ve heard lots of people saying how moving and great it is. Plus I know everyone loves his other best selling book The Fault in our Stars so I thought yeah why not. My brother bought it for me for my birthday last November so I was buzzing to start reading it.

The first half of the book was good but I got bored very quickly as nothing exciting or thrilling was happening. It was just about 4 or 5 friends playing pranks, smoking and doing what every teenager does at a boarding school. It put me off a little because it just wasn’t going anywhere. Despite this I continued to read on because I thought there must be a reason why it’s loved so much. It did get better in the latter half of the book as something big happened which I won’t tell you about because I don’t want to give any spoilers. John Green left everything to the last few pages which really annoyed me and even then I feel like the ending didn’t give any answers to the thousand questions I had.

All in all it is a good book and I did enjoy it towards the end. I liked how it’s very relatable and perfect for teenagers of today who are going through the same struggles as Alaska. However I think it’s extremely overrated and I didn’t really enjoy John’s style of writing. He overcomplicated things and put things in that weren’t really necessary. So taking all this into consideration I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars.


The next book I’m reading is The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I am willing to give him another chance as this book has also received lots of positive feedback and high ratings. Plus my brother has read it already and it’s now his favourite book so I’ll give it a chance.




Here are some links to all of John Green’s social websites that you might want to check out:


Hope you enjoyed reading my review on Looking for Alaska and I hope I haven’t put you off reading it aha. Thanks for reading and I’ll talk to you all very soon.

Hugs & kisses,
Nabeela x

No comments:

Post a Comment